|Informatics is the study of Information Technology and its uses. Applied Informatics emphasises its application to real world problems. The Applied Informatics Research Group conducts leading research in these areas:
- Big data
- Document and records management
- Electronic commerce
- Health Informatics
- Identification of groups (i.e. for targeted marketing)
- Cloud computing
- Data cleaning and integration
- Event Association Analysis
- Identification of unusual persons, items or events
- Decision support
- Information Visualisation
- Serious Computer Games
- User Interface design
- ICT Education
- Modelling and Simulation
|The Applied Informatics Research Group is based in the School of Design, Communication & Information Technology at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Strategic aims for the AIR group:
- To grow expertise in all areas of Applied Informatics, but especially in health informatics.
- To build relationships with business to share that expertise with the business community.
- To establish multi disciplinary research collaborations with other researchers both within and outside the University of Newcastle.
- To secure and retain sufficient funding to allow these activities to grow.
- To attract high quality students into research higher degrees compatible with the research directions of the group.